Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Dirt Off My Shoulder Pads

Ok, while I was supposed to be job hunting, I decided that I would take a break and go shopping…yep, I have lost all self-control when it comes to shopping…yet again! Honestly it isn’t my fault. The 80’s inspired looks for fall are just too damn good to pass up. Had designers chosen an era that screams boredom…like the 1890’s or something, I would be much more capable of restraining myself from the racks of clothing at my favorite boutiques. But, they didn’t…they chose the 80’s…and I have always loved the 80’s. Everything about it screams fun…from the music to the clothes to the make-up...it is nothing short of FANTASTIC. My mother always hoped that 80’s fashion would never rear its ugly head….but luckily for all of us; my mother’s wishes did not come true. (Luckily I saved a few of her pieces)


Today I headed to Hallelu, a great boutique in the heart of Wrightsville Beach. They are known for fun and flirty pieces with more than reasonable price tags. My favorite brand there, Collective Collections seems to always have a great piece that is just begging to come home with me. Today was no different. I left the tiny shop with a black, long sleeve top, with 80’s inspired detailing….SEQUINS AND SHOULDER PADS...AAA-MAZING! What originated as a simple black tee (cinched at the waist) transpired into a fun and sassy top with the addition of sequins and shoulder pads. My only complaint? I would have preferred a slightly more exaggerated shoulder. The shoulder pads are great, but I would have gone bigger…but it’s a start! Regardless, this super cute top is very R. Zoe-esque, especially when worn with a relaxed pair of black trousers and a great pair of heels. My mother’s circular brass earrings straight from the 80’s aren’t too shabby either!


Seen throughout the runways of Marc Jacobs, Balmain, Balenciaga, shoulder pads are again marking power and confidence in today’s women. They are a great way to dem
and attention and be noticed. They also do a incredible job of framing your face. I recall reading an article that stated something like this, “If you are young and hip, try some extreme shoulders or shoulder pads in a jacket or great top, but be prepared for those not so fashion-forward to think you have some sort of a deformity.” Well, they can think what they want because this is one style that makes me proud to be mistaken as abnormal.

Here are a few shoulder pad pieces that anyone could pull off! Click on the links below!

Loeffler Randall Shoulder Trimmed Dress Available at Beanie + Cecil, Twenty8Twelve Open-Back Blouse, Alice + Olivia Keyhole Shoulder Pad Dress, Three Dots Scoopneck Tee with Shoulder Pads, Silence and Noise Strong Shoulder Dress

No comments:

Post a Comment