Friday, February 18, 2011

A Walk In Your Shoes-Peter Clarkson


Peter Clarkson.  Age 25. Wilmington, NC. Assistant/Server/Sometimes Retail Employee

Chance should have it that I met Peter last year in Wilmington, NC.  We share a mutual love for fashion.  He would even come into the upscale women's boutique, Beanie + Cecil, where I worked at the time, begging for Beanie to carry men's clothing.  He knew good taste when he saw it.  Peter was waiting tables at a fantastic little french restaurant in the same shopping center...a fantastic excuse for us girls to call in for delivery! After a couple of drinks and attending an Alice + Olivia fashion show together, I knew we were on a fast track to friendship.  Peter is one of those interesting folks that you just meet and instantly want to be his friend.  He has that interesting appeal that makes you want to know more.  When asked about his hobbies, Peter states that currently his hobbies include "moving, traveling, trying out new careers, being as social as possible, remaining active and all in all, just trying to make my time on this earth as interesting as I can."  And from what I know about Peter, he is doing just that.  Living life to the fullest, one day at a time.  

Favorite Pair of Shoes?
"Presently, my favorite shoe is a Varvatos "Barret" Hidden Lace Boot… I describe them as being a combat-Chukka hybrid."
(pictured)  

Why?
"What I love about this shoe is its versatility.  I can where them sloppy and slouchy and leave the laces hanging out so that my slim-cut jeans bunch at the top.  Or, I can lace them up and cuff my pants to just above where the boot stops.  Maybe I am mistaken, but I like to think they can be worn to any occasion depending upon how I style them.  The leather is fairly lack-luster yet takes on a good shine with a little leather lotion that typically only lasts about one night."

How?
"I had been eyeing this particular pair of boots for a long, long time.  The price tag didn’t exactly fit into my newly tightened budget, so I managed to resist an impulse buy.  A few months back I was asked to model for a local magazine for the Holiday Fashion spread and what was I asked to wear but these damn boots.  I had made a point to keep them off my feet lest I fall in love with their ideal fit… the feeling of new and slightly uncomfortable… discomfort that you know will either fade or be overshadowed by the shoe’s perfect aesthetic.  With the help of a slight discount, some in-store credit and some internal persuasion, I bought them shortly thereafter." 

Favorite Shoe Designer/Label?
"Frye, Fiorentini + Baker (such classic leather work) Common Projects, Duckie Brown for Florsheim (both emphasize what is already great about classic designs) Zuriik, Tretorn (taking comfortable materials and shoes and adding just a little something extra to bring some edge."

Most Important Factor When Purchasing A Pair of Shoe?
"For me, shoes are either investment pieces or the complete opposite.  I’ll slop around in some H&M sneakers throughout the day but when the sun goes down or there’s some type of occasion where my footgear is going to matter, I’m going to wear pieces that have unique twists on classic looks.  For instance, my Frye’s look like a simple pair of black boots, but when viewed from the side have the detail of very sturdy zipper running from sole to top." 

Runners-Up?
"My Frye Jayden boots were a gift from an adoptive mother-type figure in my life.  She heard me describe them and was able to identify based on my description exactly the boot I wanted.  The zipper up and down the side makes them different from most other boots (especially Frye boots) you see dudes wearing.  They were my go-to kicks for a long time."

Dream Pair of Shoes?
"Presently, I’m lusting after a pair of the Florsheim DB perforated oxford.  Fashion forward design on a classic style… the slim, round laces are brass tipped and the perfectly constructed, rich-brown leather shoe is perforated nearly everywhere except where the shoe laces (closer to the eyes)." 


Shoe Story to Tell?
"As a kid I had this pair of penny loafers.  I put 1986 (the year of my birth) pennies in both shoes and wore the hell out of them.  My mom would dress my brother and I for formal events in our tan trench coats and brown penny loafers.  I remember at one point realizing that my pants were becoming high waters and hung ever so slightly too far above my loafers.  I never wore them again… but looking back, I imagine this outfit was pretty geek-chic."  

Photos Provided By Peter Clarkson

3 comments:

  1. Peter's shoe story is so cute- I did the same thing when I was in 7th grade...but I used 1983 pennies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see a picture of this boy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go to his twitter to see a picture. Link is provided.

    ReplyDelete