Monday, January 24, 2011

He's Not Dead...He's Just Drawn That Way

Photobucket
Saks

As of last Thursday, I was attacked by the angry mucus-infested (sorry) bug that seems to constantly rear its ugly head around the streets of Manhattan.  A cold I just couldn't shake.  I pumped myself full of Emergen-C and cancelled my partying plans in Brooklyn for Thursday and my movie date with a dear friend on Friday.  That should have been enough, right?  After all that, wouldn't the cold gods give me a break?  By Saturday morning, I felt a little relief.  My dear friend and her adorable mother were in town from North Carolina.  I was dying to see them.  We met at a flea market that my friend had been to on her last visit to NYC.  It was fantastic.  While I was glad to be out of the house, and even more glad that I was surrounded by a swarm of vintage designer pieces, I couldn't quite get into the shopping-swing-of-things.  I was in fantastic company and enjoyed every second of this visit, but as far as purchasing goes...let's just say my wallet caught a break.

The cold air numbed the toes of my companions and we headed to Soho to warm up and grab a bite to eat.  A glass of wine and a fabulous salad later, I felt like a new woman... credit card was ready for swiping!  We ventured into Scoop's Soho location.  Of course, like with the majority of local boutiques these days, there was the inviting sign that read "Take an ADDITIONAL 40% off."  I mean, who wouldn't take advantage?  Eyes widening at the slashed price tags, I concurred with my friend H as she kept saying, "I mean, its practically free."  We played and shopped, and I controlled myself with only purchasing a simple and massively on sale pair of Modern Vintage flat, black booties... kinda motorcycle, kinda Doc Marten-esque.  Perfect purchase for an everyday shoe that I so desperately needed. (well kinda)  Of course other sell items haunted me.  There was even one 3.1 Phillip Lim Edie bag that mocked my every move with its below a good sale price, but remained on the store's shelf.

As we were leaving, I spotted a bag that seemed so perfect for me that even my fellow shopping buddies said, "it is so you."  I took a mental note of its beauty and stored it for later, as the price tag did not allow this unemployed gal to snatch it up.  The name wasn't marked and I could feel that ugly cold starting to rear its head again.  I would find it online.  The designer: Marc Jacobs.  I was sure it would be something simple, like "Robert Danuta" or "The Stam," typical simplistic names often given to MJ's luxurious pieces of leather.  I wasn't prepared for what I found searching key terms like "Marc Jacobs neon handle bag" and "Marc Jacobs grey with yellow strap bag."  The name: "He's Not Dead, He's Just Breakdancing Winnie Bag."  Well, that's a mouth-full.  I read reviews of the bag, knocking the ridiculous (but pretty fabulous) long name.  Some called its look "obnoxious" or "confusing" in its creative design/color combination.  I couldn't disagree more. This bag was fun, flirty, had a little edge, yet still maintained the element of being able to go with practically anything.  Putty-colored suede AND patent leather was a rich but subtle color- perfect for transitioning from these cold months on into spring.   The classically shaped, MJHNDHJBW bag is topped off with gold chained handles with neon yellow woven between the links.  In addition to the shorter handles, there was a long strap enclosed for a cross-body or long shoulder look...a huge plus in my "drive for a hands free handbag" department.  I was in love with a purse, yet again.

So while the name, let me repeat "He's Not Dead, He's Just Breakdancing Winnie Bag" seems rather ridiculous to the typical onlooker, I find it completely suitable for the perfect eclectic creation of the fabulous MJ.  By the end of my online handbag research, I was bedridden yet again, but this time for the rest of the weekend...at least I had a new vision in my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment