Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bigger is NOT Always Better...

So for numerous seasons women have been sporting their suitcases as their daily purses. Of course, this is a slight exaggeration.... but I do mean slight. Women, myself included, have become accustomed to carrying large bags full of everything: an emergency pair of flats, a wallet, one or two phones complete with cases and the occasional earplugs, lipstick and chapstick, a planner if you are like me and still insist on hand-writing "to-do" lists and daily events on actual paper, a couple of pens, hair rubberbands, hand-sanitizer (or you at least should), keys, perhaps a "touch-up" make-up kit for when you are going out or just feel that it will be one of those days...i mean the list can go on and on.

Alexander Wang $425-
Available at Barneys Co-Op

I remember the days of actually weighing my backpack with my mom, complaining about the pounds of books and junk that I would be force to lug home each day. I would whine that my back hurt and that they shouldn't do this to growing children. Now the pain is simply self-inflicted. You know that lady on the yogurt commercials (I think it is yogurt) that wears the gigantic sized accessories and is carrying a purse that would smuggle two ten-year olds? That is what we have all become. If stranded on a desert island, I would predict that most women could survive an extra couple days just using what they scrounge up in their George Costanza-esque purses.
Sabina $228-
Available at Urban Outfitters

I am COMPLETELY a victim of the tirelessly heavy purse. The one that you have to switch from shoulder to shoulder just to avoid sharp pains. However, I am working my way towards the new trend of the cross-body or long-strapped shoulder bags that hold the old-school normal accessories only.... a wallet, one phone, chapstick or lipstick, and some mints. Sometimes less is more. You shouldn't be letting out a huge sigh of relief at the end of the day just because you get a break from carrying your purse. Life is full of greater pleasures. Our handbags should be something of joy, not something that negatively alters our posture.

Rebecca Minkoff $195-
Available at Shopbop

So, I will undoubtedly still hold on to my enormous purses that I have collected over the years, but I am making a commitment to attempt the smaller bag trend that is rocking the runways and the streets of fashion's elite. I LOVE the look but I am not afraid to admit that I am scared of the commitment so I will hold on to these bags for back-up. And it isn't like the large bags are on the "out list" just yet. Realistically, they probably never will be.

See by Chloe $495-
available at Beanie + Cecil

Honestly, less clutter in life is now something that I life by. After years of keeping way too much junk piled up in my large apartment on the coast of NC, I moved to NYC where my new apartment is literally less than half the size of my old one. I had no choice but to get rid of the clutter in my home and scale down. My dad always said that if you get rid of the unnecessary clutter around you, it will rid you of some of the clutter in your head. And he was right. Just having less makes me feel more. You tune into yourself rather than focusing on your overwhelming assortment of material items. But on a side note: before you go hauling truckloads away to the Salvation Army...with the exception of some old worn out pieces from F21, I highly recommend that you evaluate the pieces you get rid of in your closet as things do tend to come around full circle and the last thing you want is to be wishing you hadn't purged quite so much. Investment pieces are always worth storing for a future season.
So I am trying to carry my "less clutter" motto on over into the world of handbags. It is time to whip out the old red Marc Jacobs purse that I have been storing away for about four years. It will hold probably a third the contents of the bag I have been carrying for the last few months, but I have got to start somewhere. Small bags are hot right now, whether you go vintage chic or modern sleek. Messenger bags and purses that you would consider more "mom-sized" are everywhere. Take a look at the Phillip Lim Edie bag (and try not to drool) pictured above ($695-).... not too big, not too small, utterly perfect in every way.... and sold out almost everywhere. So give this smaller handbag trend a shot... your back will thank you.

1 comment:

  1. JUST saw that See by Chloe bag at Beanie not an hour ago. I love it!! And loving that cross-body bag style...

    ReplyDelete