Thursday, September 30, 2010

Champagne Taste, Beer budget


So I was recently told, unfortunately not for the first time, that I have "champagne taste on a beer budget." I wish I could claim this as inaccurate, but my love for $120 t-shirts alone doesn’t help my case. Finding the look for less is unfortunately a world in which I must reside. Don’t get me wrong. I definitely splurge. Every girl has to. I splurge on the things that can’t be found at a fraction of the cost. My love for expensive shoes is the hardest. I crave the shape of Louboutins. Even my mother has told me that my long time obsession warrants the purchase, and she is about the most frugal person I have ever known. So since I haven’t had the fortunate experience of adding a pair of red soles to my tiny little NYC closet, I have had to improvise. I am not claiming that these knock off shapes are the same. In the big scheme of things, there is really no replica, but for now I have something to tie me over. I am constantly complimented on my shoes of choice, so here is a little 411 for my fellow budget conscious shoe freaks. My go-to’s for hot heels on a tight budget are none other than…Steve Madden and Jessica Simpson. Yep, I am admitting it. It is hard to say this aloud, but these heels have awarded me numerous compliments and stares, therefore I must give them their well-deserved appreciation.

I am in love with the animal print shoe trend this fall, and everyone from Stella McCartney to Brian Atwood seems to be on board. Unfortunately with a $700 price tag, until I have secured employment, slipping on these pairs must remain in my head when catching Zzzzzs. But in search for a pair of rocking heels for my post-nuptial bash (yep, again, not traditional dress), I came across this hot little pair of pony hair leopards. And for $89, why the hell not? It sticks with the trend, and when pair with a LBD or skinnys, no one knows how much you paid for these babies. I wore them at FNO and I can't tell you how many "ooohhhs"and "aaaahhhs" the feline footwear received. So there you go....pair one that will give you that Champagne look, while maintaining the beer budget.

So I had an interview soon after I arrived in NYC. And for this particular interview, I was in need of a pair of plain black heels. I tore through my closet only to find that every pair of black heels I owned were about as far from plain as it gets. I went to Saks in search of the perfect pair, but the only pairs that remotely looked right for the part were a pair of Elizabeth & James and a pair of Pour la Victoire. The pair of PlVs that I already own are incredibly comfortable, however the plain black heels at Saks felt like knives shoving into my toenail beds and the Elizabeth & James were great but even a $350 price tag was a gamble with no secured employment in sight. Strike Out. I was discouraged, but decided that Macy's may save the day. I figured that both my staples (Madden and J. Simps) would undoubtedly be on display. And I was correct. I found a little too high for an office job pair of black suede heels. They were just tame enough to work for an interview, but hot enough that I knew I would get way more than my money's worth. My husband thought that they may be a little high for work, but I kindly explained, "if these are not appropriate for this job, then I am not appropriate for this job." Sold. Again, an $89 price tag made this a smart investment.

Immediately after the interview, I went straight to Henri Bendel (like any girl would do) to walk around and shake off my anxiety. I chatted with my parents to tell them about the past hour and was approached by a super stylish sales associate. She wanted to speak to me so badly that she didn't seem to mind interrupting my phone call. "Where did you get those shoes? Are those the new YSLs?" I paused, wanting to soak in the moment and contemplated lying to save my pride and establish some street cred, but I told the truth.

"Actually they are Steve Madden, but aren't they fabulous?" She seemed appreciative for the honesty and claimed that she "had to get them." Who knows? She may have mocked me as soon as my back was turned, (not knowing that I was also wearing my A.L.C. LBD, my Rag & Bone jacket, and my Cartier watch). While one would assume that I would be leaving HB with my tag between my legs, it was quite the opposite. Once again, my less than $100 kicks were grabbing the attention of fellow fashion lovers, therefore the purchase was a success. These hot little black platforms will forever be dubbed "my YSLs."

One day I plan to have the financial capability of being a complete label snob (well you know what I mean...capable of getting anything I want), but until that day comes, I will have to find ways to cut costs. Splurge on the things that can't be achieved with slashed red lines, and save on things that you can successfully get the "look for less." Thank you Madden and J. Simps for helping me turn heads without emptying my piggy bank.

1 comment:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!! Genna found this pair of nude, patent leather pumps from Ann Taylor that she swore looked just like Louboutins. We each bought a pair and, never fails, every time, someone asks me if they are the real deal. Nope. Only $80...until I can get the REAL ones...

    ReplyDelete