Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Not-So Fab Collab


A unexpected pair usually results in something new and invigorating...a Fab Collab provides us with a breath of fresh air. Right? Jimmy Choo = incredibly beautiful, amazingly flattering, perfectly sculpted, the must-have luxury footwear. Ugg= shockingly comfortable, a "trend that will not die" (unfortunately), perfect for cold, blustery days, and relatively affordable. When you think of shoes, Jimmy Choo and Ugg seem to be at opposite ends of the footwear spectrum....YET, when you think of the two combining to form one, it seems rather ingenious....OR an idea that actually succeeds at insulting the shoe-loving, fashion-conscious members of society. Either way, this fantasy/nightmare is soon to become a reality.

Personally, for me, the Ugg phenomena is over...but I do understand others' love for the Australian kicks. They are amazingly comfortable, slip on and go boots....and sometimes (rarely) they are rather cute. I do own a pair, that I have had for at least 4 years, and from time to time I will sport them....when it actually makes it below 40 degrees on North Carolina's coast. When you head to class, sure, throw on the Uggs...got to run to the grocery store, sure, no big deal...wear the Uggs. Still in college..rock the Uggs....I did. But when you are a college-grad, or at least of that age and going out or on a date...leave those damn things at home! I guess for me, I find it frustrating when people slip on this fuzzy boots and think they are fashion-forward. They are cold-weather, comfy boots that serve a purpose, which is not to be marking themselves as a great addition to the fashion world. Or perhaps it is just my love of the high heel, the perfect stiletto, that keeps me from remaining in the herd of Ugg-loving "fashionistas." I prefer to wear a flawlessly sculpted heel, and not clop around in an oversized, round-toe fuzzy boot. I am more than happy to give this collaboration a shot, but I am hesitant of what is to come.

If one could combine the elegance of a Jimmy Choo with the comfort of an Ugg, the end result would be mind-blowing. Unfortunately, it has been reported that the new shoe line, Jimmy Choo & Ugg, will continue with the basic Ugg shape and incorporate "design details that embody the spirit of the Jimmy Choo brand." Honestly, what the hell does that mean? To me, Jimmy Choo incorporates all that is fabulous IN A PAIR OF HIGH HEELS....or a pair of HIGH HEEL BOOTS....or even a gorgeous pair of PERFECTLY SHAPED FLATS. Not once does an image of a clunky, shapeless, soft-textured boot come into my mind.

I have my doubts about this line. I DON'T doubt that it will be successful, because with the large following of both of these lines, there is bound to be enough eager shoppers to make this a successful collaboration. I DO doubt, however, that this will be a gorgeous line of shoes. I DO doubt that the fashion world will be shaken up by this mesh of designers. I DO doubt that I will lust over a single pair that hits the high-end department stores, that I am sure are already anxiously awaiting their arrival so they can hear the "ca-ching" of their cash registers. Perhaps I will be wrong, and I will love them...and if so, I will retract this post....but I wouldn't hold your breath.

What one can not doubt/deny are the talents in the areas of marketing within both of these companies, so they have to know what they are doing....right? We'll see. If the goal for Jimmy Choo is to make more money....this will most likely be a success, but for those of us that look at the Choos as one of the most fantastic lines of Sexy, Stunning, and Flawless Luxury footwear...we are most likely bound to be disappointed. And for those that look at Uggs as a way to consider yourself "fashion-forward" (chuckle) when wearing your AFFORDABLE boots, you are bound to be bummed as well. Why? Because they will have to be "wow-able" enough to justify the mighty hefty price tag, ranging from $595 to $795. We don't even get the "Choo" name with an "Ugg" price? Really? So pretty much they are Uggs with some added details, the most important detail being the "Jimmy Choo" name, so that the cost can triple? While I have my doubts, I am hoping for a Brad and Angelena, while predicting a Britney and K-fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment