Monday, November 8, 2010

J. To The Crew

I remember when I began my hatred for J. Crew. Before you supporters close this window... hear me out. Early high school years, J. Crew was the jam. Every person at the local beach was rocking J. Crew bikinis, tiny little shorts, and halter tops...a uniform worn by the "cool kids" at NHHS. There was time in which I wanted to fit in. Today I prefer to live more "outside the box" but at 15 years old, I felt quite the opposite.... and the cuts of J. Crew kept me from being able to rock the trends of the locker lined hallways. For years I had to find other places that knocked off the J. Crew looks yet allowed a little hip room as it always seemed as if J.'s patterns were made using a 12 year old boy model. As I came into my own, my hatred for the line grew but for far different reasons. Honestly, it was just flat out lame. No style, the same shit year after year... some of my friends were still wearing what appeared to be the same cut bikini in a new fabric from five years prior. I was just not impressed. More so disgusted at the fact that the J. Crew look was continuing on a path to success.

Had I been a blogger during this time period, I would have undoubtedly written about my distaste for the khaki clad glossy pages... and today I would be considering this post a retraction. After years of loathing, I have come to admire what the "New Crew" has been producing of late. Everything from the leather goods to the jewelry has been revamped and now has a much more stylish edge. Oversized cardis and Helmut Lang-esque suede jackets are just part of the new flair that has caught my eye.


One of my dear friends, and fellow fashion-crazed New Yorkers and I met up a few weeks ago prior to assisting a style event. This particular galpal is always looking ultra chic and completely intune with the latest trends. For years we have shared a love for the perfectly tailored and accessorized, which is why I was slightly shocked when she informed me that her sleek nude slipdress that I was admiring was none other than J. to the Crew. Well, of course she didn't actually say "J. to the Crew"... but you get the picture. The slipdress was the perfect piece to go with nearly anything... seasonless and works for a large variety of occasions. And to top off the look, my friend was even sporting the cutest little oxford booties, also from the previously "preps only" line. I was in awe.

My husband has always been a large J. Crew shopper and I have always loved the looks from the men's half of the store. I have to admit that over the past year when I was forced to pass through the women's side, my eye has wandered to various pieces which seemed fresh. It seemed as if the J. Crew mold was cracking... heading towards a permanent break. And finally, the seal has been split. Until recently, I hadn't fully invested my time nor attention into peering through the racks, at least not for years, and it wasn't until now that I have given the label the attention and looks that it has earned. So this is my way of tossing my old grudges and giving J. Crew the applause it so deserves. The Belstaff leather bombers are superbly designed, and the Martinete feather jacket seems to be worth every penny of the $1,200 price tag. The knit accessories and leather gloves are the perfect little additions to complete your winter ensembles. Even J.'s bridal collection is worthy of a second look! Beautiful classics with a whimsical spin. There will always be pieces that resemble the old school preppy, cookie cutter look of the former J. Crew, but who blames them. There is clearly still a market to make money in this arena.... unfortunately.

Overall, my hats off to a clearly new team at J.Crew. You have thoroughly earned your second chance. A once advocate for your demise is now eager to see what you will offer to us in the future. Continue on your path down the road less traveled. I can assure you that you took the right turn at the fork in the road.

1 comment:

  1. Jenna Lyons' creative vision has really upped the J. Crew ante. I actually wrote a similar post about the J. Crew curse on my blog as I too feel like the cut of J. Crew is meant for those with no hips and totally boyish figures (i.e. NOT ME!)...but I think the thing that can elevate J. Crew above others (and make me forgive them) is the way they style their pieces. It's the definition of "Effortlessly Chic" and making the American way compete with Parisian style.

    Here's the post I wrote about J. Crew this summer, echoing your sentiments:

    http://100andsouth.blogspot.com/2010/06/hangin-tough.html

    Thanks for sharing, Em!

    ReplyDelete