Monday, October 19, 2009

One Of A Kind

Those who know me know that I have a slight issue with getting rid of things. I am learning to weed out the clutter and this weekend was a huge milestone in this endeavor. Over the past few days I have taken yet another full carload to consignment stores and to donate. I sorted through nearly every nook and granny of my house, as well as my storage unit. While I am enjoying simplifying my life, there is one thing of which I will never part…Vintage Clothing. This weekend I uncovered a few of these period tokens while sorting through the piles of boxes.

Since I was very young, I have always loved dressing in vintage clothing…my cousins and I used to spend hours in the large attics at my grandmother’s house fighting over who got to keep what. Most of the time, we would have to opt for leaving the treasures behind in order to end the debate. The piles of hot-pants, bell-bottoms, 1970s chiffon bridesmaid dresses (see right-I'm far right), and Nantucket button-downs would remain in our special place at Gmama’s where we would come back to rediscover them all over again. There is no doubt in my mind that this is where my love for vintage pieces began!

For years I have collected vintage pieces from a large variety of places. Growing up I would do my best to sneak a few pieces from my grandmother’s when my competitors, I mean cousins, weren’t around. In high school I would rummage through my mother’s closet stealing random things here and there that she would find “outdated” and I would insist were still “fantastic.” It continued in college where I would repeatedly visit a vintage store on Franklin Street called Time After Time. Most people only shopped there for costumes or themed sorority parties, but to me, this little hole in the wall was full of fascinating possessions that were calling my name. Since back in Wilmington, I have found a few special places around town that have provided me with amazing vintage trinkets. These places will remain nameless…because if you know anything about shopping vintage, you know that there is usually only one of everything and I don’t want any more competition!

Vintage pieces can be mixed in with more modern items, giving yourself a unique look, and the satisfaction of knowing that you will never see yourself twice. My vintage collection will continue to grow, never shrink, as these pieces can’t be replaced. My grandmother says that “they just don’t make things like they used to” and she is right. The fabrics of decades past will never be properly replicated…which is why it is vital to save the last survivors from these times of exquisiteness. I will continue to showcase some of my vintage pieces, but the ones pictured here are just to give you a taste from my collection that I hold close to my heart. Remember, “one man’s trash is another person’s treasure.”

No comments:

Post a Comment